Canon just announced few days ago the new EOS 60D, top of the amateur line, that comes right between the 50D and the 7D.
There’s several good improvements (some are even better than the current pro line products).
Being myself interested to buy a 7D or 5D, I can’t stop thinking Canon should come with a 7DmkII and 5DmkIII with some features I really do want and need. I don’t think we’ll see a 7DmkII anytime soon, but the 5DmkIII (and apparently a 3D) should happen in Q1 2011.
So, Mr. Canon, if you do listen and read, here’s my feature wish list for the next 7DmkII and 5DmkIII.
Things to Keep…
– Keep the same MP (18MP for the 7DmkII and 21.1MP for the 5DmkIII). I actually don’t care to have bigger and bigger pictures…
=> I don’t do building size printing. I just want better, clearer pictures…. mostly in low light condition. Let’s keep reasonable file size for a better burst rate. Improve picture with higher ISO with built-in Noise Reduction (from 1D mk IV)
– Keep 1.6x sensor (7DmkII) and FF Sensor (5DmkIII).
– Keep the current Burst rate
– Bring SDXC memory Cards…. smaller (it helps to reduce the size of the body), easier (direct transfer on MacBook Pro) and Cheaper.
– Slightly smaller and lighter body size
– New Screen similar to 60D (with 100% coverage). Well, I’ll be honest, even if I do understand an articulated screen could be very useful (mostly in video), I’m kind of scared that it would not be strong enough and brake with the time. However, I do find a great interest to actually close the screen to protect it during transport.
Features from other body (at least for 5DmkIII):
– 45-points AF (from the 1D mk IV)
– 720p @60f (from the 7D)
– Built-in GPS… If my iPhone can have it on a way smaller and cheaper device, why my professional DLSR wouldn’t?
– Built-in WIFI… Again, if a tiny Eye-FI $50 SD Card or even my phone do have WIFI, why my professional DLSR wouldn’t? It will make life so easier…
– Tethering over Wifi… with a built-in wireless system, it makes possible to tether directly to my macbook pro during a shoot and have immediate view
– Improved Image Tagging… The 60D is a beginning with Star Image Tag… But if we do have a built-in GPS, we could also include location tag and even more…. Indeed, I wish we could have in the Menu a way to choose some keywords Tags (that could even be automatic) from a customizable List. Let’s say we go shoot a meeting. We can choose some tag such: 2010, August, Wedding, John & Julia, New-York… and all those keywords will be detected by Aperture (or Lightroom) when I will import my pictures (by card, USB cable or Wifi).
Making less work for the post…. by having information pre-shutter 🙂
You just go on a trip, you can get automatic tag using your GPS location info.
– New built-in Filters… Well, today with Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop, etc… I often think we don’t need any built-in filters, mainly if they are post. However, it could be cool to immediately see how it looks (while shooting) in B&W, Sepia, HDR, etc…
– Talking about HDR, a customizable ± EV on 3/5 frames with built-in HDR filter, links on FPS (only 1 press)
So, now make it happen…. pleeeeease 🙂